First time planting.... you should grow herb garden frist

Buy herbs plant | Buy herbs seeds | Buy Pots | Offers

You don’t say if you have grown a garden before, or if this is your first time planting anything. The first tip would be to select an area that is well drained and work some compost or fertilizer into the soil.

We put the irrigation system on a timer and generally water about 20 minutes every other day. The mulch will help to conserve the water. You must choose an area that has at least 6 hours of sunlight for most herbs.

if you have seeds vs plants, I would still go ahead and plant them as soon as possible. The herbs I would concentrate on in this season would be basil, thyme and sage. There are some others as well. If you go to a local nursery, chances are the plants they have available at this time are good for planting this time of year.

If possible use a raised bed, close to your kitchen. Start with herbs you know and use in your cooking. Many people are very enthusiastic at first and plant all kinds of herbs they hardly us, then are disappointed with it and that’s often the end.

Raised bed close to the kitchen: You don’t need a lot of herbs. It’s the kind of thing you add a little when cooking. Then it’s fun to step outside and pick some thyme for a mediterranean dish, parcel to enhance the tase of your potatoes or borage leaves or flowers to color your salad.

A raised bed close to the kitchen will Ensure you use it often and with pleasure. Also: while it takes some work to make one, once you have it it’s a pleasure for your back. And people visiting will adore it.

Start with herbs you know already and use in cooking. It’s a bit embarrassing to have 20 different kinds of herbs in your garden and when people ask what it’s for you can’t answer. May seem obvious but it’s a mistake I’ve seen many people make and often the reason they didn’t go on with it.

A few new ones are fine. A few that look nice and you never use is fine too, the smell alone can be sufficient. But don’t exaggerate at first, you can Always expand.

the first year I would buy mostly young plants instead of seeds. It’s a bit late for sowing yourself and you’ll have the fun to see results soon.

Some I would include ( but your taste may be very different ) as a beginner because they have much use in the kitchen, are easy to grow and which don’t take up much space

- Thyme: I love it in a great variety of dishes. Great with everything tomato or meat. Looks nice, smells nice, takes very little place.

-Basil: I love basil in hot tomato-dishes. I like it in cold salads.

-parcel: enhances many dishes

-Chive(s), stone leek,…it has many names in English: great in any salad but I also use it in to add when serving hot dishes

-Borage (Borago officinalis): young leaves taste like cucumber, flowers don’t have much taste but add color to a dish

-Rosemary (rosemarinus officinalis), Coriandrum (Coriandrum sativum) and Oregano (Oreganum vulgare): use them in many rice and pasta dishes

-Chervil (Anthriscus cerefolium): mainly like it to make a delicious soup so I’d call it a vegetable but for some, it is a herb

-Sage (Salvia officinalis). If you like it, not everyone does.

-Satureja hortensis/montana looks nice, smells like a herb garden should smell and I would use it in every dish