Most young children have trouble with the concept of looking without touching. So to be safe, plants should be kept out of reach until children can be trusted not to disturb them or put them in their mouths OR it’s better to plant NON TOXIC PLANTS which are safer for children.
Although there are many house plants that are considered safe, We will focus on varieties that are popular or common:-
Perhaps the safest of all houseplants, the Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera) has a scary name, but poses no threat. Not only is it non-toxic, the fronds have no stickers.
Coleus is only safe for humans. It is listed by the ASPCA as toxic to dogs and cats.
Although coleus (Solnostemon) is more commonly regarded as a colorful annual for flower gardens and borders, it can be easily grown indoors as well.
Ferns are beautiful plants. The University of Nebraska lists the Boston fern as non-toxic to humans as well.
Boston ferns prefer a humid environment, and non-direct sunlight. They look hanging from baskets, and can be summered on your porch.
This plant (also known as airplane plant) is great for many reasons.The spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) is one of the top recommendations for all homes. It is an excellent choice for air purification. It is also easy to grow, even in low light conditions. It doesn’t need a lot of love, so if you forget it for a few days, it will forgive you.
It is also safe for children and all pets.
The jade plant, (crassula ovata) is a thick, meaty succulent with beautiful glossy leaves. It is evergreen, which makes it pleasant as a year-round houseplant.
Jade plants can be easily propagated by places a trimmed stem in water until roots form. This makes it easy to extend your plant collection.
As it’s name implies, the African violet (Saintpaulia) is native to Africa
In some homes, these plants may require special lighting before they produce their blooms.
Dracaena fragrans is a non-toxic plant, native to West Africa. It’s drought tolerant and therefore a good match for owners who aren’t always diligent about watering. Because it’s part of the Dracaena family, it will do well in low light,
What to do if your child eats a poisonous plant
- If your child puts a plant in their mouth, do not taste the plant yourself to check if it is poisonous.
- If your child is choking or unconscious or has trouble breathing or swallowing, call Ambulance immediately.
If your child appears well:
- look for pieces of the plant in their mouth
- remove any pieces of the plant you can see
- give them small sips of water
- do not try to make him throw up
- call your doctor.
What to do if your child touches a poisonous plant
- Some plants may cause skin irritation, itching, a rash or blisters.
- Wash the skin immediately with lots of soap and lukewarm water.
- Call your doctor.