Eucharis ( Amazon ) Lily
The bulbous Eucharis or Amazon lily produces star shaped clusters of white flowers held high above the plant.
Each cluster contains 3-6 fragrant flowers. Amazon lily flowers are very showy, leaves are large and spectacular.
The large showy Amazon Lily white flowers are borne in an umbel of three to ten on an erect scape 40-80 cm long.
The flowers are beautiful in having a prominent corona, which is sometimes tinged with green.
The word “eucharis” comes from the Green eu-, meaning “good, true, original,” and charis, meaning “loveliness, grace, and favor.” It seems well-named, judging from this description.
Adding to the allure of the plant are the large, glossy, elliptic to oval leaves on long petioles that provide a perfect foil for the showy flowers. Leaves may be several inches wide, and they form a tight rosette that arises from the bulb.
The eucharist lily can bloom several times a year and prefers dappled shade when planted outside in the garden.
One can also grow them in pots to place them in the bathroom or even in balcony.
This Ecuadorian native is an excellent container plant and is happy in greenhouse, solarium or even on a windowsill, where a lightly shaded environment can be provided.
Facts About Amazon Lily
• Amazon Lily is a bulbous perennial plant.
• Amazon Lily plant leaves are basal and narrow into petioles.
• Amazon Lily is a beautiful shade loving plant from South America.
• The shinny dark green foliage is very attractive.
• The broad stalked leaves are 20-55 cm long and 10-20 cm broad.
• The glossy leaves of Amazon Lily plant are deep green, several inches wide and in the form of a rosette.
• The tall Amazon Lily spikes bear fragrant, waxy, long lasting white flowers.
• Mature clumps can flower at different times of the year but more often it will flower in the spring.
• It likes shade and sheltered areas and makes an excellent potted plant.
• The bulbs will go dormant if the temperatures goes near freezing.
• Amazon Lily plants can flower twice a year.
• All parts of Amazon Lily plant are poisonous if ingested.
source : theflowerexpert.com
**Recommended planters for Eucharis ( Amazon ) Lily**